Canadian Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology

Newborn Hearing Screening Programs: A Truly Canadian Perspective

 
Author(s) David K. Brown
Joseph C. Dort
Reginald Sauve
Volume 24
Number 2
Year 2000
Page(s) 48-58
Language English
Category
Keywords newborn
hearing
screening
neonate
otoacoustic
Abstract The Canadian Newborn Hearing Screening Survey was utilized to assess the state of hearing screening programs in Canada. The survey probed demographics of birthing centres, average length of newborn stay in these centres, nature of the site’s hearing screening program, and the number of babies screened. The survey was sent in 1999 to all birthing hospitals identified in Canada (n = 467). Three hundred and eight-four hospitals responded (i.e., an 82% return rate). Approximately 10% (n = 35) of Canadian hospitals which reported deliveries had a newborn hearing screening program of any type. The centres that had hearing screening programs accounted for 25% of the infants born in Canada during the survey period. Most provinces had at least one hearing screening program with the exception of Nunavut and Yukon. Just over half of the screening programs were situated in rural areas (51%) and the remainder in urban centres (49%). Most centres with screening programs used either a high-risk registry or confined screening to a defined target population within the hospital. Of the sites using physiological screening protocols, there was an even split in the number using otoacoustic emissions versus the auditory brainstem response. Seventy-one percent, 57%, 26%, 9%, and 14% of screening programs utilized audiologists, nursing staff, technicians, volunteers and other personnel, respectively. Only 31% of newborn hearing screening sites used a computer based computer data management system. These findings suggest that very little progress has been made towards meeting previous recommendations for the identification of hearing impairment in children in Canada.



L'enquête canadienne sur le dépistage de la surdité ches les nouveau-nés a servi à évaluer l'état des programmes de dépistage du Canada. Elle a permis de recueillir des données démographiques des centres de naissance, la durée moyenne de séjour des nouveau-nés dans ces centres, la nature du programme de dépistage de la surdité et le nombre de bébés évalués. Un questionnaire a été distribué en 1999 à tous les hôpitaux de naissance du Canada (n = 467). Trois cent quatre-vingt-quatre d'entre eux y ont répondu (c.-à-d. un taux de réponse de 82 %). Environ 10% (n = 35) des hôpitaux canadiends qui ont signalé faire des accounchements avainet un programme quelconque de dépistage de la surdité chez les nouveau-nés. Les centres qui avaient un tel programme avaient fait 25% des accouchements au Canada durant le période couverte par l'enquête. La plupart des provinces comptaient au moins un programme de dépistage de la surdité, sauf le Nunavut et le Yukon. Un peu plus de la moitié de ces programmes étaient offerts en millieu rural (51%) et les autres en millieu urbain (49%). La plupart des centres dotés d'un programme de dépistage utilisaient soit un registre des enfants à haut risque, soit la méthode de dépistage conscrit auprès d'une population cible au sein de l'hôpital. Parmi les centres qui utilisent des protocoles de dépistage physiologique, il y en a autant qui ont recours à la technique des oto-émissions acoustiques qu'à celle des potentiels évoqués auditifs. Soixante et onze pour cent des programmes ont recours à des audiologistes, 57% au personnel infirmier, 26% à des techniciens, 9% à des bénévoles et 14% à d'autres membres du personnel. Seulement 31 % des centres qui font du dépistage de la surdité chez les nouveau-nés utilisent un système informatisé de gestion des données. Ces statistique laissent croire que peu de progrès ont été accomplis pour mettre en pratique les recommandation précédentes visant à déceler la surdité chez les enfants au Canada.
Record ID 52
Link http://cjslpa.ca/files/2000_JSLPA_Vol_24/No_02_33-92/Brown_Dort_Sauve_JSLPA_2000.pdf
 
Share |

CJSLPA is an open access journal which means that all articles are available on the Internet to all users immediately upon publication. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose.

CJSLPA does not charge authors publication or processing fees.

Copyright of the Canadian Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is held by Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC). Appropriate credit must be given (SAC, publication name, article title, volume number, issue number and page number[s]) but not in any way that suggests SAC endorses you or your use of the work. You may not use this work for commercial purposes. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.